I need your help.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Tetleysmooth

I need your help.

Post by Tetleysmooth »

With the impending ulez extension to cover all London boroughs next August, I swapped my Merc w202 for a compliant Rover 75 1.8 non turbo. I was worried when I did the swap because of the 1.8 k series lump's reputation for blowing head gaskets. I must say, the Rover has been an absolute champ during these cold spells, as it gets toasty warm inside and clears its glass pretty quickly, and it drives lovely.
Now the dilemma begins. I work for a construction company which is based in Northern Ireland, but has all its work over here. A few months ago, one of our managers left the company and dumped his company car at our warehouse. I took it out for a scoot around and it runs and drives fine. It's an 11 plate Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 diesel SRi, manual six speed. When I checked its mot status, the manager had run the car out of mot before he left it with us. It was promptly taken in for mot, and passed ok. It has sat at our warehouse in Rainham, Greater London ever since.
Well, one of the bosses in NI has decided it's a shame for the car to be sitting around doing nothing so it's been offered to me. Trouble is, it's not ulez compliant. Do I accept it and part with the Rover? Another factor is the cost of running the cars. The Rover costs £360 a year to tax, whereas the Insignia costs £165. The Rover likes a drop of petrol, but the Vauxhall sips diesel. The Vauxhall would probably be cheaper to insure too.
It's just this ulez expansion hanging over my thinking as the Vauxhall is not compliant.
I think the thing to do is to offer to sell the Vauxhall for the company to save them the hassle.
So, what would you do in my place? I look forward to hearing your thoughts, as I really don't know what to do.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: I need your help.

Post by bub2006 »

The insignia would be one large bill from the bridge. I'd keep the rover and sell on the insignia with a ticket on it. Should get a few grand easy enough. The ulez is a big issue now with it extending so having a compliant vehicle would probably be cheaper pound for pound when you consider the charges,tolls etc.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

If ULEZ affects you then don't get it.
Will just bug the hell out of you when you do need to go through it.

Even though the Bristol CAZ doesn't affect me very often and I have cars that can go through it, it's very handy to just not even need think about it. Hence when I bought the TT, I made sure it was one that was CAZ no charge.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

However if you are doing long distance miles regularly and ULEZ is inconsequential for you most of the time then it would make financial sense to run it.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Keep the Kettle.

Difference in VED will only buy 16 ULEZ charges. Besides, AVAS and it runs on devil juice.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Tetleysmooth wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:37 pm I work for a construction company....

.......I think the thing to do is to offer to sell the Vauxhall for the company to save them the hassle.
:lol:

Fuck that.

Offer them £350 for it to save them the hassle. An 11 plate Vauxhall is worth fuck all to them.

Buy it, flip it and make a grand.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

So what is the offer price? Is it a good deal?

Could you park up the Rover until the personal effect of the ULEZ expansion becomes clear and then sell one of the two?
Tetleysmooth

Post by Tetleysmooth »

Thanks for the help fellas. The asking price to me is to quote 'make a donation to charity'. I'm just too honest for my own good though.
Anyone fancy said Insignia? It's white. Just coming up to 133k. I took it for a blast along the A13 yesterday. Fook me, it's quick for a diesel. If there's any interest, I'll take my camera to work and get some pics. Price - I've got no idea.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

How about checking its value with WBAC and so forth?

You could then follow the Revs advice and donate some of the profit to charity. That to me would be a honest approach and you might end up donating more to charity this way.

I realise that it doesn't address the ULEZ issue but if you make some money from flipping it that could offset some fines.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

It's not an estate is it?