Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by Split_Pin »

Thanks Si, duly noted!

These days I don't have any friends so unfortunately no way of me swapping parts about.

I agree though, it's definitely spark related, hopefully the scanner will tell me more before I go wasting any money!
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

SiC wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:50 pm P1030 I can't remember what the code is but a quick Google says on VAG it's MAF related?

They're easy enough to test. If running better disconnected then it's at fault.
It's the o2 sensor, both of which were apparently new in 2020. I reckon its just been a cheap one. It isn't affecting how it drives at the moment so I'll kick that one down to road until I've sorted the other issues.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Again disconnecting should indicate if it's a problem or not. Might run more rough and overfuel (which may mask problems) but if the misfire is severe and goes away. I can't fully remember but I have a suspicion that the wideband sensors do work at WOT - unlike narrow band on a lot of cars.

All comes down to if individual cylinders are misfiring more than others or a spread across all the cylinders. Problem is, there is also the unknown if all the plugs+coils are shit because they're changed to cheap aftermarket unknown. Like all moderns (and all cars tbh), cheap sensors are shit and not worth it. Same with coils on these as they work them hard. A cheap coil is probably fine on a 150 1.8t but a 225 is working them much harder.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Looks to be measuring bins 15 and 16 for misfire counts on VCDS. Not my picture but it's of a 1.8t. Measuring block sections between engine ECUs on VAG are generally the same.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Also can't dismiss a weak fuel pump either that can't handle the demand when under hard acceleration...
Certainly not unknown for them to fail on these.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Thanks man that's really useful. I just hope I can understand VCDS as I'm not very technical when it comes to software.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Oops wrong thread
Last edited by Jazoli on Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBA
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

SiC wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:04 pm Also can't dismiss a weak fuel pump either that can't handle the demand when under hard acceleration...
Certainly not unknown for them to fail on these.
Also to add. As its a wideband O2 lambda, you can tell if it's going super lean through diagnostics and logging it.

That's assuming the O2 sensor is giving valid readings too!

Of course if it's lying to the ECU as it is a shit sensors, that could be causing a lean condition and a misfire.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I'll try the original coils back in and see what happens first. I wouldn't mind so much if it was one of my drivers but as its for my wife I don't really want a lot of downtime on it.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I have a set of new plugs, I new diverter valve, and a known good maf. I can meet you in half way (say Berwick) and you can try the coils off my 225 if you're not busy this weekend.
Mine runs faultless *touches wood.