Snow now more slippery or are cars less grippy?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Snow now more slippery or are cars less grippy?

Post by DodgeRover »

Funny you should mention snow being more slippery, I was listening to something about weather control the other night which included a snippet about surfactants now being routinely found in snow in some areas, obviously this massively increases the slipperiness.

Can't find a reference but here's a bit about control of weaponising the process
https://www.chathamhouse.org/2022/02/ge ... r-warriors
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Asimo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:50 pm
Update of this now dead link.
FatherJack wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:19 am LOL

Screenshot_2022-12-15-20-56-53-074-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2022-12-15-20-56-53-074-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 505 times
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

"Rights Reasons" ?

I was hoping it was removed because Joe Lycet is a twat.
Just from the voice making comments such as "Oh Sugar" I assume he was one of the crowd pushing cars into a spot where they could become Curling stones.

Oh Noes, I are STUCK.
YaY some Peeps get me moving down an hill
I R crashed, peeps say I stupid
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

Warren t claim wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:05 am
FhakeConcern wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:28 pm First, great response so far and much that I agree with.
Next I tried to tag Warren & Norfolknweigh in the first post, but it didn’t seem to work, but reminded me that I didn’t remember seeing anything from Warren lately, is he ok?

@Christine I think the XR3i did have P6 now you say it. I agree some modern tyres do look scary when part worn and Michelin PS3 needed gone at about half worn, but the PS4 I have on my C30 still ok when down to about 2-3 mm.
People now seem unable to understand that you must use momentum to get up a slippery hill, but as you say small light is better.
I’ve never had winter tyres and didn’t even know they existed until fairly recently and never felt I needed them until recently either!
@Hooli 185/60/14 on the XR3i, I expect you’re right & love that you know that stuff, well the Renner Modus has 185/60/15. Looking up my own saved statistics on family cars, the XR3i was longer, but narrower and lighter than the Modus which is more powerful, but slower haha!
@Scruffy Bodger Do you describe the snow conditions for British Rail haha!
Yeh, black ice, the only times I’ve fallen off my bike without being knocked off where on that. When I lived in Forrest hill I usually commuted by bike, but was so icy I went in the aforementioned XR3i and was cutting through back streets of Nunhead up to a new mini roundabout, braked gently and went straight over it at the same speed. Luckily it was 6.30am and no other traffic.
@AMCrebel I agree with all that and as above with Escrote vs Modus when not even in the same class of car since Modus is Clio/Fiesta size now.
I passed my test with RWD (Cortina) but moved to FWD straight after and always preferred it. The only thing I’ve driven RWD in all that time was a borrowed BMW E36 Touring when the diff exploded on my GTI. No idea if that had ABS, traction or any other gizmos, but I still hated it.
I agree about people expecting to use the car always, while remembering the worry of will it start tomorrow morning?
Expanding on that, I think so many now rely on the so called “Driver Aids” such as brake assist, park assist, lane control, they think the fucking thing will drive itself and to be honest so do some of the cars!
@Paulplom it must be even more irritating having the beeping in a work van than with a car, out of interest, would it pass an MOT with handbrake warning disconnected?
I'm alive, I've just had a few days off with Ebola, Thank fuck we have a TDW staff private medical scheme!

In my experience of many thousands of XR3i miles is what makes them handle great over 30mph is traded off by both their slow speed wet weather traction out of corners. 185 tyres may be skinny by today's standards, but a Mk3/4 has not a lot of weight over the front wheels. I remember picking Mutha_Claim up from a party on a steepish snowy road and there was no way it was going to pull away but someone in a Mini Clubman had no problem restarting, ditto a Mk1 Cavalier positively romped up the hill like it was a rainy day.
I had four Minis (a 1000, a Clubman Estate and two 1275gts) and two XR3is (Mk3 & mk4) and totally agree the Mini wins hands down in poor conditions hence Monte Carlo etc, however I still found the XR3i pretty good especially compared to anything RWD at the time or almost anything bar a Defender now! Thanks for your anacdote, love it!
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Car wise in the snow a K11 Micra is pretty much top of the tree for me. I enjoyed a snow day some years back in my nans old one, my sister had inherited it and for some reason I was using it. It went everywhere, with 4 blokes in, two of them at around the 15 stone mark.

One lad I picked up was at the top of a site/caravan park, you have to slow at the bottom because of the Severn Valley railway line, everyone's parking up and I just go sailing by (only two of us in it at this point). Get onto the site and the kids have been using the track to sledge and there's a U bend at the bottom of the approach :roll: I must admit at one point we did stop and immediately went backwards. A quick J turn and a second go sorted that! A snowball fight with the local kids ensues, grab my mate and fuck off.

Get to the very bottom, past the railway line and my mates dropped his phone in the fucking snow during the snowball fight... Had to do it all again 3 up :lol: :mrgreen:

Apparently it was the only 2WD car to make it up into the top field for 3 days!
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

FatherJack wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:19 am LOL

We have a lot of hills plus a large population of PCPd German motors. I haven't driven anywhere for a week, been living in my workshop, working and walking to the shops for grub/booze/baccy. Starting to smell bad now though 😝
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Your snowshake brings all the cars to the yard
Your life is better than theirs
You could teach them
but you'd have to charge

If you really want another K11 Micra, I could hook you up.
The Mongol Rally is no longer an option, drop me a PM if you want one in VERY yellow.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

FatherJack wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:32 am Your snowshake brings all the cars to the yard
Your life is better than theirs
You could teach them
but you'd have to charge

If you really want another K11 Micra, I could hook you up.
The Mongol Rally is no longer an option, drop me a PM if you want one in VERY yellow.
I'd love one but off road storage for me is expensive. My Nans one came off the road with hard to fix rot in the rear quarters, you'd have had to cut them off and stitch them back on to fix it properly.

It has gone off to warmer climes for its retirement. It's been stuck in a container and is to live its final years as a Rasta taxi in the sun. 8-) where they are apparently very popular.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

This one is already Taxi Yellow looook at it.....

Its grim inside despite a good go with upholstery cleaner, crossmember needs a patch and whatever lives in the fuel tank killed the pump and then killed the replacement pump.

If you change your mind it will be here for a while, needs to be gone by summer though.