The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Post by angrydicky »

Non-car enthusiast best friend had a go in my Rover at the weekend. He's an excellent driver but has little interest in cars apart from getting about in. Drives a 2018 Micra diesel which replaced a MK6 Fiesta.
He actually really liked it, said it was smooth and comfortable. He commented that the steering was heavier and the brakes need more of a shove than the Nissan, and he misses the rear parking sensors especially due to the length of the car, but he didn't miss all the extra buttons and touchscreen. He doesn't use his satnav much due to it being years out of date when the car was even new (2013 I think he said the map pack dates to) and Nissan want £100 for an update, to which he said they could FRO.
He also liked how good the visibility was, due to the relatively slim screen pillars. I explained the fat pillars on modern cars are to improve their crash safety, and he replied that he'd rather have better visibility to avoid the crash in the first place.
Can't argue with that I guess.
As for the Nissan, it's ok. I've driven it and it seems well screwed together at least.
Still, it cost him nine grand at two years old so it needs to be bloody good for that price!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Visibility. That's another thing I've got the arse with on modern shit. Quite frankly, I fucking hate driving the Focus in town. I'm constantly aware of the extra time I spend at minor junctions just making sure I've seen everything. Reversing it is a cunt, not helped by glow worm reversing light and a banana profile that is anyway impossible to see along.

The screen is bastard miles away too (we only have the povvo one with no heated windscreen) and a fucker to wipe clear. My LHD Chrysler is actually far better in traffic as I can at least see oncoming traffic when turning left onto a major road instead of a dumb-ass A post.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

mercrocker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:52 am Visibility. That's another thing I've got the arse with on modern shit. Quite frankly, I fucking hate driving the Focus in town. I'm constantly aware of the extra time I spend at minor junctions just making sure I've seen everything. Reversing it is a cunt, not helped by glow worm reversing light and a banana profile that is anyway impossible to see along.

The screen is bastard miles away too (we only have the povvo one with no heated windscreen) and a fucker to wipe clear. My LHD Chrysler is actually far better in traffic as I can at least see oncoming traffic when turning left onto a major road instead of a dumb-ass A post.
That's one issue I found with my MK2 especially doing care work in town. Mine had the climate pack with heated front screen but still had piss poor visibility and big blind spots.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Today going back to our cars to drive back to the Toby carvery, Brian had trouble getting into his suzuki car. Did it eventually. Turns out his car only had a key in the fob for getting into the car in emergency, and even then it won't start the ignition, that's keyless only! Bloody stupid rubbish, what's wrong with a key in the barrel?
As I suspected I was right about everything.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

treehugger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:31 pm Today going back to our cars to drive back to the Toby carvery, Brian had trouble getting into his suzuki car. Did it eventually. Turns out his car only had a key in the fob for getting into the car in emergency, and even then it won't start the ignition, that's keyless only! Bloody stupid rubbish, what's wrong with a key in the barrel?
My Octavia had a key but only an hidden key hole on the driver door. The issue we had when the battery went flat after a few days is you need the passenger door open to be able to pull the bonnet lever and no way to do so unless the battery was providing power to the central locking. Was a right fucker of a job. Suppose wouldn't be as bad if it was a left hooker but obviously these issues hadn't been thought about in the conversion to RHD.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Morris didn't engineer the MInor for LHD either. Still had just one door operable with a key only now it was on the passenger side!
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Nowhere near as much electrical fuckery though and you could still unlock other doors and open the bonnet!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Not if you've parked too close to a wall and jumped out the passenger side, dropping the handle to lock it behind you....Don't ask me why I did that, I still don't know.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

I had an Espace where the only door lock was on the passenger side and the Keyfob, just didn't.
So I never locked it in the two years I owned it, nobody stole it.
If they did, it was always parked where I left it.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

My Land Rover only has an actual door lock on the passenger side - it's hidden under a plastic trim piece too. Also, using it sets the alarm off - with no way to avoid that. Twats.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)