Shiting with the foreigners

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Jerzy Woking

Re: Shiting with the foreigners

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Expect even less shite in Spain from next year, as towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants will have "clean air" zones. Details of these areas are not yet known, but eligable vehicles will need a sticker to enter these areas. Most pre 2004 vehicles won't qualify for a sticker, being deemed too dirty.
Doesn't stop the DGT already issuing stickers via Post Offices for €5 per vehicle.

I've 3 major towns within 30 minutes of me that have well over 50,000 inhabitant, so imagine what old shite being driven around here that has to go into the (as yet unknown) clean air areas will be traded
in for something newer, or scrapped. The fine will be €200 for entering a zone with out a sticker displayed.

It's unfortunate that one of my motorbikes is not eligible, so I will have to look at flogging that before it becomes totally worthless.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

I was wondering if a lowered Karmann Ghia would be exportable from the US to Spain. Also my 912.
If it’s the case that they will be as much use as a chocolate teapot, it puts me off moving there in retirement a little.
I was hoping to bring at least one of them with me.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:42 pm Expect even less shite in Spain from next year, as towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants will have "clean air" zones. Details of these areas are not yet known, but eligable vehicles will need a sticker to enter these areas. Most pre 2004 vehicles won't qualify for a sticker, being deemed too dirty.
Doesn't stop the DGT already issuing stickers via Post Offices for €5 per vehicle.

I've 3 major towns within 30 minutes of me that have well over 50,000 inhabitant, so imagine what old shite being driven around here that has to go into the (as yet unknown) clean air areas will be traded
in for something newer, or scrapped. The fine will be €200 for entering a zone with out a sticker displayed.

It's unfortunate that one of my motorbikes is not eligible, so I will have to look at flogging that before it becomes totally worthless.
200 Euros is a bit draconian isn't it given the people running those vehicles aren't likely to be wealthy part time plumbers? So vehicles with possibly quite a bit of useful life yet will probably be scrapped, it really isn't joined up thinking is it?
The car manufacturers will be rubbing their hands in glee.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

The worst is that the towns that are to have the zones, haven't got them marked out yet. I know both Madrid and Barcelona have had them for a few years, but not ridden through either (nor do I plan to).

Broccoli, you might be able to import something older here, but check on the DGT Spain website for some pointers. There are plenty of 50's and 60 cars imported from the US here.

I could not bring my Saab over here, because to register it on Spanish plates would have needed more than a pair of right hand dipping headlights fitted, as I would have had to return the car to standard. That would have meant swapping the uprated wheels, brakes, turbo, intercooler, suspension and exhaust for standard Saab parts.
You don't see much modified stuff here
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Broccoli wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:54 pm I was wondering if a lowered Karmann Ghia would be exportable from the US to Spain. Also my 912.
If it’s the case that they will be as much use as a chocolate teapot, it puts me off moving there in retirement a little.
I was hoping to bring at least one of them with me.
I know somebody who got a MK1 transit firevan registered in Spain after importing from Germany, it took him 2 years and was a nightmare to sort out in his own words and that was absolutely stock standard.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Bugger.

Thanks ;)
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Is it worth contacting the Spanish KG, VW and other classic car clubs? They'll probably have a wealth of knowledge about it.

It still might be no way Jose but who knows?
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Worth a read-quite a comprehensive rundown of importing a vehicle into Spain.
https://www.guidesglobal.com/importing- ... -to-spain/

TL:DR It's a ball ache
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Arseburgers. That looks like a lot of pain. Especially if anything is modified.
I’d like to put the Ghia on air suspension at some point. That won’t get through the system. Even if the car is 60 years old.
Maybe get the 912 through, as long as they have emissions exceptions for it being an ancient car (1967).
Maybe just keep all the stock parts for the Ghia and swap it all back.
There’s always something you have to give up or compromise with!
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I vaguely remember something to do with Gibraltar and modified cars from a car magazine I read in the last few years.

It could be bollocks though and I've no idea where I read it, assuming it's not the invention of a failing memory.