Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:15 pm I'd say that business model won't work as electric crap will never appeal to people with brains, but then I look at society...
The ban on ICE cars should be an inflexion point I reckon and the nearer it gets the better idea we'll have on Jag EV viability.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:21 pm
Hooli wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:15 pm I'd say that business model won't work as electric crap will never appeal to people with brains, but then I look at society...
The ban on ICE cars should be an inflexion point I reckon and the nearer it gets the better idea we'll have on Jag EV viability.
Is Jaguar still reliant on the USA market?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Warren t claim wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:18 pm I really don't know.

Given how successful Rangies are and the very high prices they command it'll depend on whether that pompous prick McGovern can imbue Jags with the same sort of desirability. That also assumes that they are given all the resources they need and a realistic long term business plan that's more in terms of decades than years.

If Jaguar produced and publicised separate accounts I'd expect massive losses for the first few years, propped up by RR cash flows. TATA will need to keep their nerve.
The only way for Jaguar to turn a profit is for them to coax Egan out of retirement.
He did a terrific job but I reckon from a financial point of view a lot of it was smoke and mirrors helped by Ford and GM rivalry.

That reminds me I'll have to read his book again.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:25 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:18 pm I really don't know.

Given how successful Rangies are and the very high prices they command it'll depend on whether that pompous prick McGovern can imbue Jags with the same sort of desirability. That also assumes that they are given all the resources they need and a realistic long term business plan that's more in terms of decades than years.

If Jaguar produced and publicised separate accounts I'd expect massive losses for the first few years, propped up by RR cash flows. TATA will need to keep their nerve.
The only way for Jaguar to turn a profit is for them to coax Egan out of retirement.
He did a terrific job but I reckon from a financial point of view a lot of it was smoke and mirrors helped by Ford and GM rivalry.

That reminds me I'll have to read his book again.
Increasing quality was his best decision.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Realistically I think hybrid cars will be the future in twenty years, the propaganda is relentless. Besides if you have hybrid you can use whichever you want.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

When has Jaguar ever made money? Sir Billy sold up for a reason!
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

I think the acceleration is incredible and just for that, I’m looking into converting a classic at some point.

The ideal would be to convert a tired S1 Lotus Esprit - but that’s just a little more of a pipe dream than converting the 912 or the Ghia. There are drop in kits for both, with regenerative braking, though It seems a shame to mess with the 912 and the kits for the Ghia aren’t as fast (only around 200 torques :lol: compared to the 400+ on the Porsche kit.)

Like most for a daily, an electric doesn’t really make sense as I drive about 2 hrs or more most days. Wife had an early Toyota Highlander Hybrid and that was great. I just don’t understand why a diesel hybrid has never existed.
fraser

Post by fraser »

Search for a guy called The MacMaster on YouTube. His latest video is about the valuation of the porsche he bought 12 months ago.
In a nutshell. The car cost £120k. Porsche will part ex it for £60k, and WBAC will give him £53250 for it. So it's lost half of its value in 12 months. He still owes £80k on it, he wants to get rid of it, but would have to stump up £26k from his own pocket to do that.
He also said that when charging outside of his house, it's more expensive than the equivalent petrol or diesel engined porsche.

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by fraser on Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Electric companies price gouging? Whatever next?
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Plumbers?
Well the ones that invoice their customers.