Back In The Day. Dodgy Dealers In Your Area.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Back In The Day. Dodgy Dealers In Your Area.

Post by Warren t claim »

palace1.PNG
palace1.PNG (288.34 KiB) Viewed 497 times
palace2.PNG
palace2.PNG (316.31 KiB) Viewed 497 times
These were notorious locally. Their bodge shop was ironically located in the former unit I shared with Minimad5 from AS. Long after the place closed down, their premises were turned into a car auction that yours truly used to work as a fiver a night driver for.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Re: Back In The Day. Dodgy Dealers In Your Area.

Post by Warren t claim »

ddiya1.PNG
ddiya1.PNG (778.91 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Back n the day this place had a bad reputation. They used to sell both cars and motorcycles, they were a Neval dealer for those in need of a new bike but were desperately poor.

Sometime back in 1987 I was wandering around the showroom and opened the boot of a 1978 Marina only to see my Addidas Samba trainers through the huge rust hole in the boot floor.

At some point in the early '90s they discovered that most of the used Volvos they sold didn't return with an irate buyer within a week so they struck a deal with the local Volvo dealers to sell on stuff that the main agent didn't want on their forecourt.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
marvinsmom

Post by marvinsmom »

"Car go Cheap, at Big Mike's" was always an amusing ad to read in the Gazette back in my yoof. as i recall they were a bomb site dealer out near Portrack Lane in Stockton.

it would feature such delights as "1977 Mini - runs and drives, 6 weeks T&T, £59" or "1982 Ford Capri - needs work £95"

they are i believe still "trading" under the "comerford car sales" and while the tat they stock maybe has a more respectable sheen to it, i wouldn't be one to buy anything from them!
2015 Fiat 500 Heinz 57 - new car to me
2001 Rover 75 Estate - 220,000 miles & out
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport - running again!
1989 Austin Metro - also running again.
1974 Morris Mini 1000 - older than me, and in better condition :D
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Screenshot (14).png
Screenshot (14).png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 435 times
The very well known one in my area is still going as the old fucker is still kicking about the place. Known by people for miles around as "Honest" Harold's. He's not had a penny off me in many moons despite going their from an early age so you think you might be able to trust him.

He's an habitual car hoarder too, he's been forced to clear the car park and lane by the council a few times. It gets cleared and he just starts all over again.

We did sort of get one over on him back in the day and that's the last I ever dealt with him.

Post by Guest »

I remember a local one that advertised in the Free Ads Dan's Bangers (christened Desperate Dan's by one of my colleagues at the time, as you had to be to buy off him). You knew you were buying crap, but it was cheap.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

marvinsmom wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:24 am "Car go Cheap, at Big Mike's" was always an amusing ad to read in the Gazette back in my yoof. as i recall they were a bomb site dealer out near Portrack Lane in Stockton.

it would feature such delights as "1977 Mini - runs and drives, 6 weeks T&T, £59" or "1982 Ford Capri - needs work £95"

they are i believe still "trading" under the "comerford car sales" and while the tat they stock maybe has a more respectable sheen to it, i wouldn't be one to buy anything from them!

They're still going??
marvinsmom

Post by marvinsmom »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:55 am
marvinsmom wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:24 am "Car go Cheap, at Big Mike's" was always an amusing ad to read in the Gazette back in my yoof. as i recall they were a bomb site dealer out near Portrack Lane in Stockton.

They're still going??
i dunno, i'm thinking no, not unless they have changed the name they are trading under again.
2015 Fiat 500 Heinz 57 - new car to me
2001 Rover 75 Estate - 220,000 miles & out
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport - running again!
1989 Austin Metro - also running again.
1974 Morris Mini 1000 - older than me, and in better condition :D