Two wheels are better* than four

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Jerzy Woking

Re: Two wheels are better* than four

Post by Jerzy Woking »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:33 pm
Jerzy Woking wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:25 pm
Think the first time I was aware of them was seeing one on Nick Sanders round the World bike (Yamaha R1?) 20 years ago
Did he used to live in Sheffield? I remember chatting to the bloke who had just gone into the record books for the fastest time round the world on a bike, the thing that stuck with me was what he said about sleep, he said the first time he would fall asleep whilst riding it was a moment, the second time would be a couple of seconds then he knew he needed to stop as the third time he would be out for 30 seconds or so.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Sanders

He used to take powernaps of 15 minutes or so, whenever he needed them, still sat astride the bike.

I do know that on some of the trips he ran, if you weren't ready to depart a location on time, he would just leave. Likewise at stops throughout the day.

His early trips were not holidays, just A-B rides as quick as they could be done. He has mellowed somewhat on his tours and trips now, but age catches up with us all.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Nibblet wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:21 pm What bikes do folks on here currently use? I'm thinking I'll get a Triumph Street Triple when I've passed my test.

I've a 2008 675 cc Street Triple. Great motor and chassis, but the seat, for me, was dreadfully uncomfortable. Cured with a 2cm thick gel pad, with a sheepskin cover. Can now ride 600kms OK, whereas before, 100 kms was the limit.

The throttle does feel a bit snatchy on mine if I had been riding my other bikes for a while. Nature of the beast I think.

As a first bike it should be OK in my opinion, as it can be tootled around with enough go under 8k rpm, so shouldn't get you in any trouble. Really comes to life between 8k and 12k. Chassis and brakes are well up to the engine.

I rode it back to back with my mates 2020 765cc, and we both preferred the 675, much smoother, and with a far less complicated set of instruments!

Luggage carrying can be an issue due to the underseat exhausts on the 675, but a Ventura system cured that.

I have a spare set of the L-brackets for a 675 should any one want them.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:29 pm You just need to work on your arse cheeky muscles to grip the saddle better.
Ooo kinky 😉
The street triple is comfy and fairly upright, OK for an oldish fart.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Nibblet wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:58 pm A wee question of a biking nature; I have a nice pair of cordura motorcycling trousers here, a bargain at £20, which fit spot on. The only slight annoyance is I find them a bit slippy on the saddle. Is there anything I could do to make the seat of said trousers less slippy?
I've got a universal gel saddle thing that straps on over a bike seat hangin up in the shed. Only about 5 or so quid from bay of e.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Seems to be a fairly common complaint, either seats or trousers being too slippy. One idea I saw is to try 'Glove glu' as used by goalies. I've sanded the pants of my trousers and cleaned the seat with meths, I'll go for a ride later and report back.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Fixed, I remembered I had some contact adhesive for shoes. I stick to it like shit to a blanket now. A LOT of gravel about now thanks to the heavy rain, back wheel wobbled in a few corners!
Attachments
20230402_155024.jpg
20230402_155024.jpg (723.48 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Thomas Sowell