Stellantis. Is it the 21st century global British Leyland?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fraser

Re: Stellantis. Is it the 21st century global British Leyland?

Post by fraser »

Shoestring wrote:Are they not just doing the same as VAG. It is more economical for manufacturers to have one platform and add Peugeot, Citroen or Vauxhall bodies on top. They all have to make a profit and can only differentiate with brand identity. Mercedes and BMW are putting their badge on real tat at the lower end of their range, look at the A and B class abominations, BMW 1 and 2 series are FWD tat. Stellantis have increased the choice of company cars where I work and saved me on BIK so I welcome them, all new cars are white goods now, about as exciting as choosing a new fridge or dishwasher.
I think regulations are making it harder ( impossible) to produce anything interesting so manufacturers have to group together to meet the costs of developing hybrid and electric vehicles and continue to keep in profit.
BMW basically split the one series into hatchback (1 series), and coupe and convertible (2 series).
In 2018, BMW basically took the mini floor pan, running gear and jammed the 1 series body over the top. The coupe and convertible (2 series) are still rwd.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Shoestring

Post by Shoestring »

fraser wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:12 am
Shoestring wrote:Are they not just doing the same as VAG. It is more economical for manufacturers to have one platform and add Peugeot, Citroen or Vauxhall bodies on top. They all have to make a profit and can only differentiate with brand identity. Mercedes and BMW are putting their badge on real tat at the lower end of their range, look at the A and B class abominations, BMW 1 and 2 series are FWD tat. Stellantis have increased the choice of company cars where I work and saved me on BIK so I welcome them, all new cars are white goods now, about as exciting as choosing a new fridge or dishwasher.
I think regulations are making it harder ( impossible) to produce anything interesting so manufacturers have to group together to meet the costs of developing hybrid and electric vehicles and continue to keep in profit.
BMW basically split the one series into hatchback (1 series), and coupe and convertible (2 series).
In 2018, BMW basically took the mini floor pan, running gear and jammed the 1 series body over the top. The coupe and convertible (2 series) are still rwd.
I was referring to these abominations:

https://businessmotoring.co.uk/wp-conte ... ourer2.jpg
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:51 am Regarding Germans developing things:

Some 20 years ago I was working near Heidelberg for about 6 months helping the biggest German software house develop a new industry solution. The project manager was German and went ballistic when she saw me copying and pasting code. That's not the way we do things!
So basically I was expected to re key it with all the possible additional errors.

Needless to say her and I didn't get on to the extent that she complained to my boss to try and get me sacked. That didn't work but when I had to go back there a couple of months later, for the final presentation to management, you could have cut the air with a knife, especially when my name came up on screen as being one of the developers.
At least you didn't try and improve the code base by making that section of code a reusable object.
Your boss would have taken credit for making a smaller compiled binary through introduction of dev ops pipelines or some such crap and got a payrise.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 pm CF81B016-D242-44C8-9423-49C786C13969.jpeg65D9A60F-2923-4925-9D5F-F51005FE907D.jpegFCF551A3-030E-4AB3-91F1-BE57D481D227.jpeg
Likewise I saw a couple of Range Rovers on UK "17" plates that had been disguised with bits of taxed in plastic and in a psychedelic patterned wrap. That was in Andorra.

Also see a few disguised BMW's on the AP7/E15 heading down towards Almeria.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

See a lot of those on the Grossglockner too
Private signature, do not read
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Shoestring wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm I was referring to these abominations:

https://businessmotoring.co.uk/wp-conte ... ourer2.jpg
Its almost like they are embarrassed to brand it as a BMW so went small-bling and hoped it didn't look too much like a Zafira.

The colonies have no such restraint, this Mofo is so cool it gets a grille like Elton Johns Glasses
EltonJohnBMW.jpg
EltonJohnBMW.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 446 times
https://mg.co.za/motoring/2023-01-04-br ... this-year/
^ Plenty of Stellantis product in that link

Its odd to see a push for premium electric vehicles in a country with rampant load-shedding and rolling blackouts
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

JFC that is ugly.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag